Paperwork requirements for British Citizens getting married in Italy

With effect from 1st March 2013, the procedures for British nationals resident in the UK, planning to marry in Italy are as follows (if you are resident in the Channel Islands or Isle of Man please contact us at [email protected] for further details and information):

You cannot start the documentation process more than 6 months before your wedding date, or 3 months if you are resident in Scotland.
There are 4 simple steps that each British national, resident in the UK, must follow to get the right paperwork for marrying in Italy:
You need to obtain a CERTIFICATE OF NO IMPEDIMENT from your local Registry Office in the UK giving notice of your marriage and may take 2 or 3 weeks to obtain the certificate. It is essential that the names you give to the Registrar, which will appear on your Certificates of No Impediment, are exactly the same as written in your passports. Please take your passport with you at the Registry Office, just to be absolutely certain.
While you are waiting for your Certificate of No Impediment, you should make a statutory declaration before a solicitor or public notary in the UK. You can download the bi-lingual statutory declaration from the following website :
or just ask your wedding planner to send a copy by email in PDF format. The declaration is required by the Italian authorities and gives additional information that isn’t detailed on your Certificate of No Impediment. Your solicitor or public notary will charge a fee for this service – fees will vary so it might be worth shopping around.
When you have your Certificates of No Impediment and you have your Statutory Declaration, you need to send them both by mail to the FCO Legalisation Office in Milton Keynes for each to be legalised with the Hague Apostille. The Legalisation Office webpages, (please click on the following links) :
Once both these documents have been legalised, you will then need to have the legalised Certificate of No Impediment translated. As it will become an Italian legal document it should be translated by a translator based in Italy that our agency will provide and sworn before the Italian courts or an Italian Justice of the Peace and filed at the Wedding Hall in Italy together with your other documents. (Please note that Italian Town halls may also accept other types of official translation not covered in this guidance).  A fee will be charged for this service – please contact us for further information at: [email protected]
 Italy Italian Weddings offers this service even if you have not hired us as you wedding planner in Italy.
The Statutory Declaration does not need to be translated since it is already in both languages.
To summarize, each British national resident in the UK should have:
  • A Certificate of No Impediment – issued in the UK, legalised in the UK and then translated officially in Italy
  • A bilingual Statutory Declaration legalised in the UK
  • Passport copies
Any further documents specifically requested by your Comune (town hall) of marriage.
Once all of these documents have been prepared, we will file  all your documents to the town hall where you intend to get married.
There is no longer any requirement for wedding documentation for British Nationals resident in the UK to be sent to any British Consular Section in Italy for further processing.
Important: Under Italian law, a woman who has been divorced or widowed and wishes to re-marry in Italy cannot do so until 300 days have passed from the date of her divorce/death of husband. It is possible, however, to apply for a dispensation to this through the Civil Law Courts (Tribunale Civile). Further information should be obtained fro the Town Hall (Comune) of the area where the marriage is to take place and we can assist you for the application – please contact us for full details.
Please also notice the following :
British Nationals resident in England and Wales marring an Irish citizen should follow a different procedure – please contact us for full details.
British Nationals marrying an Italian citizen resident in the UK and registered on A.I.R.E. (Anagrafe degli Italian Residenti all’Estero) should make enquiries with the local Italian Consulate in the UK.