Cathedral of St. Peter Apostole in Frascati near Rome
The Cathedral of St. Peter Apostle is main church of Frascati founded in 1598, under design of Ottaviano Nonni known as Mascherino. After twelve years, on June 29, 1610 the first Mass was celebrated. In 1696 Giovanni Fontana began work on a new façade, which was finished in 1700.
The two bell towers on either side of the facade were constructed later. It has a Greek cross plan, and houses a wooden crucifix of 11th century from Tusculum, a Madonna – “Mysteries of the Rosary” attributed to Domenichino, a relief by Pompeo Ferrucci (1612) represents Jesus handing over the keys to St. Peter, and a 14th century Madonna with the baby in the Chapel of the Gonfalone, that was retouched by Domenichino. On the interior side of the facade wall there is a bronze of the “Holy Year Cross” of 1750. The cathedral received many tokens of Henry’s Episcopal concern, most of which are still visible.
At this cathedral, catholic weddings are performed during morning or afternoon hours.